I love a lot of recipes that require using Canned Condensed Soup. The problem is that its not very good for you. Many of the Cream of "Add Flavor Here" use extremely processed foods and additives, and some also contain MSG (click here to learn more about MSG and why it's....notsogood.)
Since I am trying to buy all whole foods, and nothing processed. I wanted to try to find some alternative recipes for this very popular ingredient. I will then add some recipes that I want to try that include this ingredient.
Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup- Substitute Recipe- Found this recipe here
Made a few changes of my own... Try not to use Bouillon Cubes either...many of them are VERY high in sodium and also contain MSG.
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup wholel milk
- 1 1/2 cups-mushrooms, chopped and sauteed
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over Med-Low heat.
2.Stir in flour a little at a time until smooth, then remove from heat.
3.Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep mixture smooth. Then, stir in mushrooms.
4.Return to heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil; stir constantly until sauce thickens.
5.Add salt and pepper to taste.
Here is the base recipe for a Condensed Soup where you can add any flavoring you like. The most common ingredients are celery, mushrooms, broccoli, chicken- It's kind of like making a white sauce, then you just add the flavors you want. If you can use everything organic...all the better too!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Use in casseroles in place of condensed cream soups.
- Can be varied by using vegetable broth, sauteéd chopped celery, celery seed, or sauteéd chopped mushrooms.
Hope this research helps you as much as its going to help me!!
Here are some recipes with condensed soup as an ingredient:
Mushroom Sauce Baked Pork Chops
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
No Time to Cook Chicken
Chicken and Pasta Casserole w/ Veggies
Here's a quick thing I found: Make your own Onion Soup Mix- (Like the ones that come in the dried powder packages!) Not sure about the beef boullion granules, but you may be able to find them without MSG?
share on: facebook