Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wondering What to do with Celery Root?


Well, I was talking to some women from my organic buying co-op and told them that my blog had a hot celery root recipe on it....and that was...as I soon found out, a flat out lie!
The recipe is for another cold salad just like what I said it wasn't!

Anyway, that got me searching to find what I could make "warm" with celery root to make it up to the ladies I fibbed to :)
There are a lot of great things to make out there.



First, I'd like to share a little about celery, or celeriac

FoodReference.com states:

Part of the celery family, the celery root or celeriac, is routinely used in French cooking and is seen throughout Europe. It is solely grown for its root use and appeared in the United States beginning in the 19th century.

This root is bypassed by many because of it unusual appearance of crevices and rootlets. When cooked well, this root evokes celery and parsley flavors.

Here are some great links and recipes I found and thought I would share with you to make up for my awful mistake as explained above.....sorry!

I think I am going to make this tomorrow for lunch:
Celery Root and Apple Soup- similar ingredients as the Winter Salad, but its..you guessed it- HOT!

Another simple soup recipe is:

Double Celery Potato Soup


Here are some sides:

Peas with Celery

Sauteed Celery Root


Main Dishes:


Braised Chicken with Celery Root and Garlic

Dutch Split Pea Soup


Well, that's about all I could find that didn't have a million ingredients..or ones that we didn't have in our produce.

Thanks!









share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment