Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cinnamon...is beneficial!

I love cinnamon, well I take that back, I love things with cinnamon in it like French Toast....I don't recommend eating cinammon plain, it can do some damage to your salivary glands!! My husband had mentioned something about it helping our bodies to process sugar better. So I thought I would do a little investigating and see how good cinnamon really is for us. I think you will all be pretty satisfied and feel good about eating French Toast, Cinnamon Rolls, Apple Pie, Apple Crisp....well, at least the cinnamon is good for you :)

Here are the top benefits I have found about cinnamon...

  • It can lower your LDL cholesterol
  • It can help regulate your sugar levels in your bloodstream, which helps to decrease your risk for diabetes. ( So, I guess if you HAVE to have sugar, have it with a sprinkle of cinnamon!)
  • It is kind of like a blood thinner to have an anti-clotting effect...good for after giving birth since women are prone to blood clots then.
  • Some studies have shown it to reduce the proliferation of Leukemia and Lymphoma cancer cells. (Also, keep your kids away from an all hotdog diet....the nitrates have been linked to childhood Leukemia)
  • 1/2 t. of cinnamon, and 1/2 t. of honey every morning has been found to decrease symptoms of arthritis.
  • It acts as a natural food preservative.
  • It fights E.Coli in juices
  • It naturally has manganese, iron, calcium and fiber....go cinnamon!
  • Smelling cinnamon helps brain function...I could use a little sniff today :)
  • Improves colon health and helps against heart disease
Here is a recipes for Picadillo which we have once a week! Its my easy go-to meal. This recipes is off the top of my head, so amounts are to taste:

1 lrg. Onion chopped
2 cloves garlic

1lb of ground beef

1 1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 t
sp. ground oregano
2 T. tomato paste
1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes w/ juices

1 c. raisins
4-5 large olives sliced (optional)



In a skillet, add some oil and cook onions till translucent over medium high heat. Add garlic, cook for about 30 seconds more. Add cinammon, cumin, oregano and mix into onions and garlic. Add ground beef and brown. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, raisins and olives and simmer on med-low for about 30 min. Serve with Naan Bread or over rice. That's it!! My Picadillo recipe that my family is obsessed with ...give it a try!


share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment