Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thursday Thoughts.... Shape Your Children


I thought I would start a new trend here at my blog and let people know what is going on in my head....maybe nobody really cares, but at least I can have it out of my head and somewhere on the internet right? So every Thursday, I will post some thoughts I have been having over the course of the week. They could be deep, or just simple things I thought I should share. Its a way to get more personal with my.....um 6 devoted bloggers....Thanks by the way.

Ok, here's the first go at Thursday's Thoughts.....

Today at MOPS, we had a great speaker. She is a mom of three children who are all in their 20s and 30s. She has had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer, and has a real vulnerability and rawness about her. Needless to say, she said a few things that really hit me....

1. Don't try to change your children, shape them. Get to know your children, what they succeed at, what they struggle with and encourage them on their own journey, not the journey you want for them.
She quoted the verse:
Psalm 139:13-
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
She explained that God already created who your child is, you can't create your child, you can help to shape them into who God wants them to be and what special gifts he wants them to use. Point Taken...



2. Moms have guilt about our children...endless guilt. She told the story of how she felt guilt before her first child was even born because she couldn't swallow those horse pill vitamins.... Most of the guilt we feel is what she called False Guilt which is feeling guilty about something that has already happened that we can never change, or things that truly are going to be inconsequential to the future success of our children, yet we worry about them endlessly. She says....Get Rid of the Guilt...I agree...but its hard..really hard. Guess I have to learn that I'm not perfect

3. Have grace...NOT just for your children, but for YOU, the mom. Accept the Grace that God pours out for us...it is AMAZING.

Well, that's it in short.... some words to chew on for the next week, but I encourage you to accept grace and get rid of the guilt!!


I am also going to include some recent pictures. in these posts...


share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment