Monday, May 4, 2009

Got Ants? Natural Ways to Get Rid of Them

With the rain season coming here in Florida, ants are a huge problem in almost every home here unless they have someone come and spray poison everywhere. We try to keep things as natural as possible here, so getting rid of the ants was high on my priority list. My friend in Pennsylvania is having an ant problem too and also didn't want to spray poison, so I thought I would share some insight on getting rid of ants in an environmentally friendly way: First, you need to find the source of where they are coming in. For us, there are about four or five locations. Second, you need to see how they travel. We have tile floors in our kitchen and often times they are following a straight line either along the wall, or along one of the grout lines in the kitchen. Ants often come in when its raining because they are drowning outside. When that happens, our ant situation goes from manageable to, "Oh my gosh, I just realized that ants make me crazy!"mode.

Chalk Line

One suggestion that I have heard that people swear by is to use a chalk line. Just pull the chalk line wherever you don't want the ants to crossover and put the line down. I haven't tried this one, but many people I have talked to say it truly works, so I thought I would put it down.

Cinnamon or Cayenne Pepper

Just place some of either spice at the source of the ant entrance, and it should deter them. This is a temporary fix and is going to have to be done consistently....


Vinegar
Mix some vinegar & water in a spray bottle, aim and shoot. This is an on-contact way to remove them. I would also think that anything acidic, like lemon juice would work too.

When in doubt, try any of these remedies on this website...its incredible the amount of things you can try!

Getting Rid of Ants

Ants are welcome outside and in an ant farm, just not my house!

share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment