Friday, May 22, 2009

Vegetarian Meal of the Week!

Since summer is quickly upon us, maybe its time to think of your crock pot as your new BBQ? It doesn't put off nearly as much heat, and you could also try what The Happy Housewife does.... Anyway, I just got a vegetarian slow cooker cookbook out from the library... So, I thought I would give you a recipe out of there....perhaps with a few tweaks of my own :
Slow-Fashioned Potpie with Biscuit Crust
3T. Olive Oil
1 Med- Onion chopped

1 Carrot Chopped

1 c. plus 2 T. flour

1 large potato, peeled and diced

2 15.5 oz cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed

1/2 c. frozen peas

3/4 c. veggie stock
1 T. Tamari, or soy sauce- ( I would use Bragg's Amino Acids- for your complete protein)

1/2 t. dried Thyme 1/2 t. dried Savory- see below
S&P to taste
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda

1/2 cup milk or soy milk

1. Heat 1T. of oil in medium skillet over med heat. Add onion, carrot- cook until soft approx 5 min.

2. Transfer onion and carrot to oiled slow cooker, stirl in 2 T. flour. Add potato, chickpeas, peas, stir in stock, tamari, thyme and savory. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 5 hours.

3. 1 hr before ready to serve, make crust. In large bowl combine 1 c. flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 t. salt. Quickly stir in milk and remaining 2 T. of oil until blended.
4. Spoon biscuit topping over the surface of the simmering vegetables. Turn heat to HIGH, cover and cook until crust is cooked through, about 1 hour. Serve potpie within 10 minutes after crust is finished for best taste results.


Sorry about no menu plan for this week...Life has been a little crazy, and we are going away. I made:
Homemade Pizza w/ Chicken, Zucchini and Mushrooms
Organic Hot Dogs w/ Spanish Rice and Broccoli
Homemade Chinese Stir Fry w/ Bok Choy, Chicken, Zucchini and Mushrooms and brown rice ( made with extra chick, zucchini and mushrooms from Monday's meal)
Tonight, I am going to make burgers so there will be no leftovers while we are gone.
I received our first pick up from our CSA!!! We love all of the produce and veggies!! That's why I made a stir fry w/ the Bok Choy. Someone suggested that I take pictures of the produce. I'll do that next time, this time its already in my fridge, sorry :)

I had no clue what was in savory seasoning, so I looked it up:

Here's a savory seasoning recipe. I would just add whatever of those spices I had in my cabinet!

share on: facebook

2 comments:

  1. I contacted the local farm in our town regarding their CSA and their shares are already sold out. I guess I need to reserve one for next year NOW! I'm so bummed. But yes, post pics!

    ReplyDelete