Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How Was It? Wednesday




Last Tuesday, I tried Kefir... In fact, I liked it so much, I tried it again for breakfast the next morning! I made Kefir pancakes! Another website that I read said that Kefir can replace buttermilk without much difference, so I thought I would try it! On Tuesday afternoon, we made Kefir Smoothies. Lily really liked them! All I did was add a banana, a bunch of strawberries that were about to go bad, some Maple Syrup, some ice cubes, and some Kefir....about 3/4 of a cup.








I would definitely recommend using Kefir in place of Buttermilk for pancakes. I also made these in the blender which made them a little more fluffy I think.

Here is the recipe I used:

2 c. White Flour
2 c. Whole Wheat Flour
4 T. Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda

1 c. Milk
1 c. Kefir
1/2 T. Salt
2 Eggs beaten
2 T. Sugar

I combined the ingredients, blended and used made the pancakes right away. You wouldn't want to let this mix sit in the fridge overnight because the Kefir can get a real bitter taste to it. Use the entire batter right away, and then you can freeze or refrigerate the actual pancakes for later use. That's how Kefir was for us!

Do you have something new that you tried this week? Let me know in a comment, or provide a link to that post from your blog!!



share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment