Monday, April 6, 2009

Vegetarian Meal of the Week!

As some of you may have read, I try to have at least 2 if not 3 vegetarian meals a week to cut down on grocery costs. I found this recipes and I love it! It will be a regular in our home. I also posted the link below so you can check out her blog. For some of you, vegetarian meals may be somewhat foreign. For me, it wasn't too long ago that I was saying, "It ain't a meal unless there's meat." But I decided to slowly try a few things, and I must say, they are filling and tasty! Give this one a try, you won't be disappointed!

SNOBBY JOES :

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked lentils
4 cups water

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 Tablespoons chili powder (orig. recipe called for 3!)
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons yellow mustard (wet mustard)

4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns

Directions
Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.

Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.

Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait. I like to serve these open faced, with a scoop of snobby joe on each slice of the bun.

Snobby Joes by .Delight.

share on: facebook

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this next week! I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The addition of the maple syrup sound amazing! I'm going to have to try these soon! Plus it should freeze well! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete